The 2021 Ford F-150 is a full-size pickup truck known for its versatility, towing capability, and comfort. One of the features that can confuse buyers is the bed size. Choosing the right Ford F-150 bed size for your driving needs is vital to improving work performance and making getaways fun. For instance, smaller beds typically allow the cabin to carry more passengers, whereas larger beds take up less room but may hold much more gear. So which specific bed size matches your driving demands? Let’s assess this below.
What Are the Different Bed Sizes for the 2021 Ford F-150?
The 2021 Ford F-150 comes in three-bed sizes. Here is an overview of the options:
Ford F-150 Regular Cab Bed Sizes (3-seat capacity):
- 6.5-foot Box
- 8-foot Box
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Bed Sizes (5- or 6-seat capacity):
- 5.5-foot Box
- 6.5-foot Box
Ford F-150 SuperCab Bed Sizes (5- or 6-seat capacity):
- 6.5-foot Box
- 8-foot Box
How to Measure Your Truck to Ensure You’re Getting the Right Size Bed?
If you are unsure of the bed size you need, here are a few easy ways to determine what is right for you:
- Place your measuring tape against the bed’s floor and measure from the tailgate to the back window. You can also measure across the widest part of your bed, which will tell you its width.
- Extend your measuring tape from side to side to measure the entire width of your bed. Remember to measure the height of your bed, typically measured from the ground up in inches or feet.
- Once you have determined which box size works best for you, compare it to the sizes available for the F-150. Here are the bed sizes of the Ford F-150, along with their measurements in inches:
- 6.5-foot Box: 78.9” x 50.6” x 21.4” (LxWxH)
- 5.5-foot Box: 67.1” x 50.6” x 21.4” (LxWxH)
- 8-foot Box: 97.6” x 50.6” x 21.4” (LxWxH)
What Are the Benefits of Knowing Your Correct Ford F-150 Bed Size?
Knowing your correct bed size will help you to make exciting adventures and improve work performance. It gives you the power to load and transport bigger and heavier items, allowing you to take on more jobs or larger trips easily. Additionally, having a correctly sized truck bed means no longer worrying about whether something will fit in the back of your pickup.
Choosing the right truck bed also gives drivers a place to load the needed items. It allows you to move, transport, and store items quickly. Moreover, you can lay down connecting materials to complete a project efficiently rather than overstuffing or being unable to transport certain items.
Another advantage of knowing your Ford F-150 bed size is the ability to increase the size of the passenger compartment. With several cab sizes available and space in the truck bed, you can comfortably seat up to six passengers while still having plenty of storage room for other items.
How Should You Choose a Ford F-150 Bed Size?
The size of your truck bed depends on your truck type and how you plan to use it. If you need a work truck, an 8-foot box is ideal because it provides plenty of storage and hauling capacity. However, if you don’t need as much room, consider the smaller Regular Cab or SuperCab options to save money and space.
It’s also important to consider the terrain you’ll be driving on since this can affect the bed size you need. If you frequently drive off-road or on rough roads, opting for a longer length, such as an 8-foot box, will give you more stability.
Finally, consider your budget when choosing a bed size for your Ford F-150. Prices can vary significantly depending on the cab and box size you choose, so research beforehand to find the best option for your needs and budget.
Available Accessories for Your Ford F-150 Bed
When it comes to protecting the bed of your Ford F-150, plenty of options are available. Here are a few:
- Bed liners and mats: These accessories help keep your bed free of scratches and scrapes while providing insulation against extreme temperatures.
- Transfer tanks for fuel: These tanks connect to your truck’s auxiliary fuel ports, making it easy to transport gas or diesel.
- Bedding rails: These rails provide a snag-free way to tie items down in the back of your truck, keeping them secure while you drive. They can also be used with ramps or divider rails to simplify loading and unloading.
- Bed slides and organizers: These accessories help keep all your cargo organized, secure, and easily accessible. Whether carrying lumber or gardening supplies, bed slides and organizers allow you to quickly access what you need without having to unstrap and unload each item.
- Tool chests: These are ideal for keeping small objects like sanders, saws, and wrenches safe and organized. They come with a durable powder-coated steel finish to prevent rust and corrosion.
- Handles on a tailgate: These make it easier to lift the tailgate and provide a better gripping surface than conventional handles.
- Dog crates: These provide a safe way to transport pets while on the road. They come in different sizes and shapes, with adjustable dividers or slide-out trays for easy cleaning. Once loaded via the side doors of your truck bed, your furry friend will be securely held within their crate.
- Hitch and towing accessories: These include trailer hitches, ball mounts, weight-distributing hitches, and sway controls, ensuring smooth and safe hauling.
- Auto tents are an excellent way for travelers to quickly and easily create sleeping space. They offer reliable protection from harsh weather conditions or debris with a unique telescopic support system and heavy-duty, water-resistant fabric.
While price is a significant consideration for most people when choosing a bed size for their Ford F-150, it should not be the only factor. Your decision should depend on how you plan to use your truck and the type of payload you’ll be carrying. If you need a work truck, an 8-foot box is a great choice, while a 5.5-foot bed may suffice for recreational use. Considering these factors will save you money and ensure your Ford F-150 is up to the task. With the right bed size and accessories, you can make the most of your truck and enjoy its full potential.